Greaves India celebrates the highly anticipated February 2015 release of ‘Indian Summers’. Billed as the Downton Abbey of the East, ‘Indian Summers’ is a historical drama focusing on the final years of British colonial rule in India. The series will be set against the sweeping grandeur of Shimla in the Himalayas – the former Summer Capital of the British Raj.
Greaves India has created a nine-night package where guests can recreate the bygone age of glamour, enjoying historical destination experiences while staying at The Oberoi Group’s beautifully restored heritage properties.
The Oberoi Cecil was once famed as Shimla’s social epicentre for balls and fashionable clientele on Mall Road, and it continues to exude its colonial charm 150 years on. After a day’s exploration, enjoy quintessentially English afternoon teas, fine dining at night, log fires and panoramic views of the Shimla valley.
Wildflower Hall, Lord Kitchener’s former residence has been rebuilt to evoke the grand style of the colonial era, located 8,250 feet in the foothills in the Himalayas. Enjoy extraordinary mountain vistas from the hotel’s open-air Jacuzzi or explore the resort’s private estate of 22 acres of cedar and pine forests, with gentle hikes interspersed with gourmet picnics arranged by the hotel’s attentive staff.
Greaves India has tailor-made an itinerary, which includes hopping on board The Himalayan Queen ‘toy train’. Riding first class to Kalka, guests can watch the spectacular scenery through the original glass windows as they are hauled along by a tiny diesel locomotive.
Join renowned historian Raaja Bhasin, official consultant to ‘Indian Summers’ on a walking tour, as he peels back the town’s remarkable history and rare architectural legacy. Bhasin is a font of local knowledge and will share intriguing anecdotes regarding the once powerful elite of the British Raj, who ruled a fifth of the human race from the Himalayas.
The combination of Greaves India’s insider knowledge and The Oberoi Group’s properties, offering legendary levels of service, deep-rooted in Shimla’s history, will guarantee an unforgettable Indian Summer.
A 9-night tour costs from £2,215 GBP per person, based on two people travelling (www.greavesindia.co.uk / 0207 487 9111)
- Including return flights on British Airways
- Domestic flights for Delhi – Chandigarh
- Bed and breakfast accommodation at The Oberoi, New Delhi; The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla and Wildlflower Hall, Shimla in the Himalayas
- Private transfers, sightseeing, guides and excursions throughout the tour
- Daily yoga sessions at The Oberoi, New Delhi and Wildflower Hall, Shimla in the Himalayas
- Short guided cycle rickshaw ride in Old Delhi
- Toy train on Himalayan Queen for sector Shimla – Kandaghat
- Sightseeing Tour of Shimla with Raaja Bhasin followed by Tea at Green Room
- Breakfast picnic on the Wild Strawberry Trail / Mashobra
- English speaking local guides throughout the tour